Monday, March 9, 2009

Purple Shoes, Pipe Wrenches and Resurrections, Oh My!

Over the weekend I bought a pair of shiny purple shoes and a pipe wrench.

Two years ago I would have never dreamed that I would ever buy such things. Then my shoes were practical and in neutral colors. And the only tool I felt comfortable using was a screwdriver--and only in very limited ways.

Now I feel the freedom to express myself in new ways. To have a little fun with color and to quit being the mousy wallflower. So I have lots of vibrant hues in my closet--including shiny red and purple shoes.

Also I feel confident to tackle some projects that I've always been afraid to try. Like replacing my shower head (hence the pipe wrench), painting my walls with colors (including sponging a room with flamingo pink paint), and setting up a wireless router (with a little help from tech support). Next I'm going to tackle installing a new thermostat and learning how to mow.

Yesterday's sermon was about God's promise to Abraham that he would father a nation even though his wife Sarah's womb was barren, that is dead. God promised to bring the dead to life--and then did! But the amazing thing is that God continues to perform resurrections even today. I was in a dark , lifeless, and hopeless place much like Sarah's womb. Through God's transforming grace I was resurrected to a new and vibrant life full of purple shoes, pipe wrenches, and faith in God who brings the dead to life.

Hallelujah!

1 comment:

Katherine E. said...

HALLELUJAH INDEED!!!!!!!

(See you Monday at 8!)