Monday, January 12, 2009

Resuming

It's been a while since I've made an entry here. Not sure why it's been so hard to write. I've had lots of things I wanted to write but I couldn't bring myself to sit down a put "pen to paper" or "font to screen".

But I've had a couple of people ask me when I'm going to write again. Very flattering to know that people want to read my ramblings. Also very intimidating--now I feel that I must write something profound to make it worth their while. Perhaps that's part of my reluctance to write. But I've decided to try to write again regularly and to write about whatever I feel like writing about.

So tonight topics is...drum roll... TOE SOCKS!

Over the holidays, I wore my Christmas toe socks. Besides being warm, they make my son laugh. He loves it when I wear them and wriggle my colorful toes. And it reminded me of some care free times in my youth.

When I was in college (the the '70's) toe socks were popular. Also during my college years I was very involved in the programs at the Wesley Foundation at Texas A&M. Every Sunday night there was a worship service in the chapel at Wesley (as we called it.) We would cram 100+ people in a small chapel that was designed to hold 50. And it was cramming. We filled the pews shoulder to shoulder (you tried to make sure you were sitting by people you really liked). When the pews were completely packed, then people would sit along the aisle. And we even had people sitting on the floor between the modesty rail of the first pew and pulpit/altar area. (Fire Marshall's nightmare; Evangelism Committee's dream)

So being clever and witty college students, me and some other young women decided it would be fun to wear our toe socks on Sunday night and to sit in the area in front of the pulpit. So we did. And we took our shoes off. And there we were -- this line of 1/2 dozen pairs of feet with brightly colored toe socks wriggling at the campus minister. Not sure how funny he found it (he did have a good sense of humor--the only way to survive with a bunch of energetic Aggies) but we thought it was hilarious.

I thought about that when I wore my socks last month. Thought about the silliness that we so willingly engaged in during that time. Nothing malicious; nothing embarrassing (or at least not too much); just fun to have fun. Just enough to counter the drudgery of classes & school work. Diversions to lift our spirits between tests & papers. Thought about the gaggle of friends and the community of faith that nurtured me during that time.

And I missed those days.

Wish I weren't so grown-up...

Wish I could be more carefree...

Wish I had someone to be silly with...

Wish I had that gaggle of friends and community of faith that allowed the freedom to be silly and spiritually deep.

Need friends with toe socks--at least figuratively if not literally.

Need a community of faith that allows toe socks--figuratively if not literally.

Anyone out there with toe socks? Will you be silly & spiritual with me?

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Count me in! I'm a friend who wants to put on toe socks and be "light and free"! CCW

Katherine E. said...

Me, too! (I need to get me some toe socks; they sound like GREAT fun!)

There's an award for you over at my place, btw.

LorieM said...

Ava Nell, I remember those Wesley chapel days and I still have one of the 70s pair of toe socks! I find they don't fit my calves as well as they once did, but I think of those days and that evening sitting there wiggling our toes and I laugh, too. I'll happily be your long-distance silly friend! Lorie