Monday, July 7, 2008

Green is the color of Grace

Today with the help of my wonderful friend Pamela, I painted my living room a beautiful green. Green--the color of the current liturgical season Ordinary Time. A color that symbolizes growth. And what an appropriate color for me to start with in my new life of growth. Growing in the willingness to take a chance (and putting green on the walls of the biggest room in my house was a little scary for me.) Growing in the willingness to take help from a friend (and getting to know her much better by doing so). Growing in the willingness to try new things (and now I know how to paint or at least am not afraid to try it again.) Thanks so much Pamela!

Then tonight my "group" discussed grace. My body was full of feelings but I couldn't find the words to express them at that time. How do I experience God's grace? I experience it in feeling accepted by God and others (like my wonderful "group".) That acceptance that let's me be me. It is more than just tolerating me but actually liking and loving me for who I am and not asking me to change--to be a different person. Instead they encourage me to grow and to become a fulfillment of God's creative intent. And out of that acceptance and love from God and others acting for God, I've been free to change my life in dramatic ways. I experience God's grace in the peace that I feel as I face the unknown. And there are many unknowns in my life right now. Just a year ago, I would be paralyzed with fear and anxiety in facing these unknowns. But now although I have those moments of concern wondering what the future holds, mostly I feel a deep assurance that things will be fine--because of God's grace. I experience God's grace in my new zest for living, in the hope of the future, in the beauty of nature, in the love of friends, in the laughter of my child, in the wonderfulness of creation and -- in the color green!

1 comment:

Katherine E. said...

Oh, I love this, Ava Nell. Such burgeoning freedom and life confidence and love. It delights me beyond measure to read this. What a wonderful journey of LIFE you are on! God is cheering, I know.

(Yes, I'll send you more information about the women's group when we finalize the brochure. And I'll send you that DVD, too. Email me, OK? and send me your new address)