Zipper cream peas, Paco's cantaloupes and Parker County peaches!! Summer's bounty! Purple hulled peas, fresh tomatoes, watermelon. Crowder peas, fresh figs, Bing cherries, plums, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes. Ah the sweet taste of them all makes up for the oppressive heat of summer.
Why, in a state that the pundits have already ceded to John McCain in November and still has numerous vehicles with "W '04" plastered on them, do I see only "Obama 08" bumper stickers and nary a McCain one in sight? Is it because I live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood and work at a large university or is this phenomena more wide-spread?
Recently the Pentagon announced that by 2018 they would stop using the current style of cluster bombs and using only ones that went inert if they didn't explode on impact. Why wait 10 years? Or even better, why not just stop using bombs--cluster or otherwise--right now?
One in 50 homes in North Texas is in foreclosure. How sad. I'm reminded daily of this because a house across the street from me is one of them.
Starbucks has finally reached the point of saturation and is having to close stores. I wondered how they could have a storefront on every corner. I guess they couldn't.
Do buildings suffer from delusions of grandeur? There is a nice sturdy two-storey building that I pass by daily. It is barely taller than the apartment complex next door yet it calls itself the Alta Mesa Tower. It makes me smile when I see it. On second thought, perhaps it's not suffering from delusions but has a healthy self-image and is gently poking fun at itself with it's name.
Wonderful posting on Theolog using the story of Jesus' feeding of the 5000 to remind us--i.e. me!--not to fall into the earthly trap of believing that scarcity is the norm but to live believing and knowing God's abundance. How different life would be if I lived like I believed that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a good reminder. Thank you.
You have a wonderful way of seeing the depth as well as the humor in the ordinary. A gift! I love the idea that Alta Mesa Tower has a good self image! I'll look at Alta Mesa Tower differently now! CCW
Post a Comment