Saturday, October 4, 2008

Art in Emptiness

Last night I went to the Modern Art Museum for its monthly First Friday event. As I walked around the museum, it wasn't the stimulating artwork that resonated the most with me. It wasn't the melodious jazz trio. It wasn't the pleasant company of the friend who was with me. Although all of those were enjoyable and meaningful.

No, what resonated the most with me were the open, empty spaces.

The empty spaces of ...
...the smooth walls extending between the art.

...the warm wooden floors expanding between the walls.
...the open benches waiting for someone to sit on them.
...the expansive galleries soaring up to the high, high ceilings.

In those empty spaces, I found rest...
...
from the busy week,
...
rushing to do one thing than another,
...
racing from one day to the next to start the frantic cycle again.

In those empty spaces, I found peace...
...from over stimulation,
...busyness,
...being pulled in many directions.

In those empty spaces, in that seemingly nothingness, I found art.

Art...

...calming my mind,

...relaxing my body,

...restoring my soul.

1 comment:

Katherine E. said...

Ahhh, I feel more relaxed, just reading this.